Monday, November 16, 2015

Coach Biographies: Meet Founder Kristin Linder!

Good morning,

We pride ourselves in the many services we offer but we couldn't do it without the wonderful coaching staff here at Linder Educational Coaching. We would love to introduce you to them one by one! Up first is Linder's founder, Kristin!

Kristin Linder Carpenter – Founder, Educational Coach, ACT tutor, and College Advisor

Having grown up in Louisiana, I spent most of my childhood in one of the worst school districts in the country. I saw how children lost motivation and perspective, and made incredibly detrimental choices when it came to their education. In the tenth grade I scored in the top .01% of students in Louisiana on the standardized test and was subsequently chosen to attend the prestigious Louisiana School of Math, Science, and the Arts. My education at LSMSA highlighted the tools and techniques that successful students use, from active reading strategies to different sets of study skills. I was accepted to Louisiana State University with a full academic scholarship after my junior year of high school. I tutored privately in college, and worked with undergraduates through law students. During college I spent a year and a half on an internship training with an Olympic selector for three-day eventing.  In 2005, I participated in the North American Young Rider Championships, receiving a team bronze medal.

I knew I wanted to spend my life sharing the tools and techniques of successful students and teens, academically and in life.  I graduated with a Bachelors in History and two years of Biochemistry, top 3 in my class of over 800. After college I spent three months traveling through Europe and the Balkans, and I completed a summer study semester in Germany. Upon my return to the states I moved to Arlington, VA, where I started my career in education as a private tutor. At first, I worked for a number of large tutoring firms here in Northern Virginia. However, after working under the limits and constraints of subject tutoring, I decided to make a program that does education justice. Instead of just giving children answers, I focused on teaching them how to find the answers. Instead of spending an hour quizzing them on topics, I spent an hour teaching them the strategies of studying that work with how they, as individuals, learn. Instead of treating the symptoms, I focused on finding the problems. My program was incredibly successful, especially with families that had tried many other options. In 2013 I received my Master’s from Georgetown University. More than ever, I appreciated how important it is for students to get an excellent grounding in writing, study skills, and reading while in grade school.

Since the founding of Linder Educational Coaching, I have worked closely with local doctors and psychologists to learn about executive functioning issues, which is how ADD/ADHD and many other learning disabilities express themselves. We now specialize in helping students develop executive functioning skills and manage learning disabilities. These skills are important to be both successful students and adults. We expanded business in 2015 to a commercial property to create the first after school program in the area that focuses on executive functioning issues.

We get referrals from local principals, guidance counselors, teachers and doctors. There is a demand here for a comprehensive and holistic approach to learning, and I am proud to meet the needs of families through my educational coaching program.

For more information on the programs & services we offer, please visit: http://www.lindereducationalcoaching.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment